If you are looking for a side dish to pair with grilled steak or chicken, look no further. Although there are not many ingredients in this recipe, it is definitely packed with flavor. This should satisfy even the most finicky eaters at your table!
I love this recipe because it is quick and easy to prep. Basically, you chop up the veggies, measure out the spices and cheese, and then mix it all together in a big bowl. You then pop it in to the oven to bake for about 30 minutes. Easy peasy!
First, I cut the yellow squash in half, lengthwise. Then, I sliced it into pieces (it should resemble a semi circle). I made sure not to slice the squash too thick because I didn’t want it to take longer to cook. I sliced mine about the thickness of a hamburger dill pickle chip. I used the same process to prepare the zucchini.
After that, I chopped up the green onions and added them to the squash. Next, I took all of the chopped veggies and placed them in a large bowl. I, then, measured out the cheese and only added half the amount. I reserved the other half to sprinkle on at a later time. Then, I added all of the spices. Using my hands, I mixed the veggies, cheese and spices evenly in the bowl. I poured the mixture into a casserole dish and baked it for 30 minutes.
After that, I sprinkled the remaining cheese on top and then baked it for another five minutes. In order to get a really pretty, golden brown color, I broiled the dish for about 2-3 minutes. I, then, pulled it out of the oven and let it cool for about 5-10 minutes.
Easy Cheesy Squash Bake
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut both yellow squash and zuchinni in half, lengthwise
- Slice squash into thin pieces
- Chop up green onions
- Add veggies to a large bowl
- Measure out 1 cup of both Mozarella and Parmesean cheese
- Add half the amount of cheese to the bowl
- Reserve the other half of cheese for later
- Add all the spices to the veggie/cheese mixture
- Mix all the ingredients well
- Pour all the ingredients into a casserole dish
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes
- Remove dish from the oven and sprinkle the reserved cheese on top
- Place casserole dish back in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts
- Broil the dish for 2-3 mintues until the top is golden brown
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 mintues